Great lifeguards are...
Not certified yet? We do all of our training in-house! Check out our upcoming courses below!
Lifeguarding at the Aquatic Center
- Enforce facility and LSR-7 District rules/regulations
- Recognize and respond quickly to emergencies
- Administer care to and assist victims
- Directing the flow of the pool and deck
- Uplifting our mission of Changing Lives Through Aquatics
- Effectively communicating with patrons, coworkers, and management staff
- Promoting health and safety standards by cleaning and maintaining equipment and monitoring pool chemicals
- Participating in regular training with management staff for emergency scenarios
Participants in our certification course will be provided access to the Red Cross online lifeguard training. Online training must be completed prior to the first day of class at the Aquatic Center.
At the Aquatic Center, course participants complete physical testing along with in-person CPR, First Aid, and AED training.
Participants will be tested on both the in-person and online course materials on the last day of class in order to receive their Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
- Must be 15 years or older by the start date
- Must complete all online learning materials prior to the first class date
- Must be in attendance for all course dates
- Must bring the following materials for personal use: swimsuit, goggles (opt), towel, writing utensil, snack/lunch
Physical testing will take place during the course
- Swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl or breaststroke only
- Tread water for 2 minutes
- In under 1 minute and 40 seconds: starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps
- Perform a variety of in-water and on-land rescues and assists
Registration forms must be turned in to the Aquatic Center with payment by the due date in order to enroll in the course